Saturday, October 5, 2013

Evening With the Royal Opera



Marvelous highlights from great operas
The performance excerpts contained on this DVD are from La Traviata, a more modern Carmen, Le Noe Di Figaro, La Boheme, Die Zauberflote, Dido and Aeneas, ... well, you get the idea. And the performers showcased herein are the best in the business - Renee Fleming, Joseph Calleja, Jonas Kaufmann, Sarah Connoly, Diana Damrau, Simon Keenlyside, Bryn Terfel, Jose Cura...and the conductors featured include Antonio Pappano, Christopher Hogwood, Charles Mackerras, Andris Nelsons, Colin Davis, Bernard Haitink, et al. In short, there is no shortage of star power anywhere you look on this disc.

Particularly satisfying is the interaction between Renee Fleming and Joseph Calleja in Libiamo ne' lieti calici, as well as Simon Keenlyside's rendition of Pa-pa-pa-pa. But for me, the Purcell (Didi's Lament) was stunning and worth the price of the DVD in and of itself.

This is a wonderful DVD, both for the experienced opera aficionado as well as for the neophyte looking to get a...

Bought it as a gift
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my aunt, who loves opera. She was very impressed with the pieces it contains based on what she read on the box, but that's about all I can say about it as I haven't spoken to her yet to see if she's viewed it. If I get feedback from her I will update my review.

Recommended, but with reservations
The first half of the disc was great. The second half less so. Perhaps. My opinions are biased by my preference for zItalian operas

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment