Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Incredible Mel Brooks: An Irresistible Collection Of Unhinged Comedy



With Brooks co-producing this set we have material that is rarely seen with new introductions by MB! A must have!
I have spent the last week literally falling off my sofa watching this wonderful collection of Mel Brooks material - at least 75% of it new to me - and I'm a huge MB fan. This should NOT be confused with a set called The Mel Brooks Collection - which is a repackaging of all of Brooks' feature films.

While Shout Factory - a company formed by former Rhino exec Richard Foos - releases some great DVD and CD packages (with creative packaging too!) this time they partnered with Brooks' own company- Brooksfilm - and that gave them access to lots of rare material AND new introductions by Brooks himself. Look at the running time (11 hours!) and know that much of this material has either not been seen in the US ( The "Audience With..." comes from the BBC) or is newly created ("I Thought I was Taller.. A Short History of Mel Brooks", a new five-part "Mel and His Movies", which has Mel discussing every one of his films, or hasn't been seen in 50 years (the TV commercials he made with...

Mel Brooks at his best
If you think Mel Brooks' movies are hysterical, wait til you see him as himself. I had the pleasure to see him speak at a screening of Blazing Saddles a year or so ago and it was then that I realized how sharp the man was and still is. That sparked my interest in a collection like this, and I was so tickled when I saw him promoting it on Jimmy Kimmel's late night show.

I purchased this DVD collection for my father and have been lucky enough to enjoy it with him. I'm in my mid-20s, and to be able to see television clips of Mr. Brooks that would be otherwise unavailable to me is a precious treasure.

If you're wondering whether these 5 DVDs and a CD are worth the $60 you'll pay for them, the answer is "YES, YES, a million times yes!"

I love you, Mel Brooks. Never change.

Brilliant, Hilarious Collection...I Bought It Much Cheaper Elsewhere
As a Mel Brooks fan, I am so grateful for this box (book, rather)of treasures, and I'm having such a good time watching it. It's just a delicous spread of lunacy and information about one of the funniest men alive. The amount of content and elegance of the packaging made the price much easier to swallow.

Speaking of which...doesn't Amazon discount, like, everything? For some reason they're only shaving off a whopping few cents. I ended up finding this for MUCH cheaper at dvdempire.com ($63.99!!)but even Barnes and Noble has it for $72.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment