Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fighting Sullivans



An American family sends its five boys off to World War II
"The Fighting Sullivans" is the true story of five brothers who died together when their Navy ship, the Juneau, was sunk in the South Pacific during World War II. But only the last act of this 1944 film, directed by Lloyd Bacon, shows the Sullivans at war. Most of this film is pure Americana, following the lives of the boys from their childhood in Waterloo, Iowa. Thomas Mitchell and the marvelous Selena Royle are the loving parents, while the five boys are played by unknown actors: Edward Ryan (Al), John Campbell (Frank), James Cardwell (George), John Alvin (Matt), and George Offerman (Joe). Trudy Marshall plays their only sister, Genevieve. Top billing actually goes to Anne Baxter as the young girl who marries into the family and will be left a widow with a baby in arms. Ward Bond plays the Navy lieutenant who befriends the family when the Sullivans insist that they will only join up if they can serve together. Eventually the Navy relents and the boys get their wish...

Will live in my heart and memory forever
My mother brought me to see this movie at the Crest movie theatre in Highbridge. It was soon after the Sullivan brothers had so heroically died for their beloved country. There were many other mothers or fathers who wanted their children to learn about why we were at war at that time, and to have respect for the Sullivans and all the other men and women in their service of their country during World War II.

I was only five years of age at that time, but I remember everything about the movie. Ofcourse, I saw it in the movies a couple of more times within the next few years as well as staying up until the wee small hours of the morning to see it on the late show. Each and every time, the movie evoked the same reaction from me, tears and trembling.

I felt as though every member of the Sullivan family was a friend of mine. Perhaps I may sound old fashioned or outdated, but I appreciated The Fighting Sullivans more than I could any of the films of the present day...

Always a classic, never too late to see.
In 1955 my mother made me sit and watch this movie at the ripe young age of 10. I will never forget the emotions that overcame me even at this youg age. For years I had looked, and looked for this movie, and alas a few years back it appeared on late nite tv. I watched, I recalled, and I cried my eyes out. Mind you I am a seasoned Viet Nam veteran...and this movie is so realistic as to what life was and should be, that it will affect anyone who views it in a favorable light. I now insist that my two adult children view this movie, and will purchase it for each of them as a reminder as to family values, and the sacrifice that past American's have made for our freedoms. This is a film that should be viewed by every American. This is a film which should be included as required viewing for any immigrant entering and enjoying the freedoms of the USA. This film is reality, family values, loyalty, tradition, and patriosim all intertwined into a classic movie which has and will...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment