Sunday, October 13, 2013

Miramax Wes Craven Series with Bonus CD



Great value, the movies look good, but corners were cut with the sound.
I purchased this collection for Wes Craven's three "Dracula" movies---I don't care much for the fourth movie ("They"). I already own the DVDs for each of the "Dracula" movies, so my primary purpose for buying the blu-ray was to obtain a high-definition (HD) picture. I expected the audio to be at least as good on the blu-ray as the DVDs. Sadly, I was mistaken.

All four movies include 5.1-channel Dolby Digital surround sound on their respective DVDs. Unbelievably, the first two "Dracula" movies have only 2-channel stereo sound on the blu-ray. Very disappointing!!! You won't hear anything out of your rear surround speakers, making the sound field flat compared to the full 5.1-channel versions on the DVDs.

And it gets worse from there: All four movies (a total of 6 hours and 5 minutes) are crammed onto a single blu-ray disc (it must be a dual-layer disc). So there are NO extras. The commentary tracks, features, extended and deleted scenes, auditions, etc., that are...

great
love the dvd nice and clear movie is the way I remember it love it the Dracula are a great movie especially they

Four Craven Images For The Price Of One!!!
Wes's movies are nothing if not unique and his take on Dracula is daring and done with his usual panache and within his oeuvre these three movies provide the chills and sly off kilter humor he seems to toss off in horror films with abandon. He hires excellent actors and gives them much meat to eat...which keeps them from chewing up the scenery and focused on chilling your spine instead. I liked the transfers (sound could be optimized but isn't bad) and they look great in blu-ray. I haven't seen They yet. (Don't know how it slipped passed me the first time around) Saving it for a dark and stormy night. But the three Dracula films in one gathering is worth the purchase even without the fourth movie, tho I'm glad to get it. I'm glad to get anything that satisfies my Craven Craving.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment